Decentralization and SecessionWorld History
In a way, the separation of the Czechs and Slovaks was like Brexit and the UK’s 1980s privatizations combined, only a lot more complicated.
It's true that JFK would feel at home in the modern GOP. But that's because the GOP has stopped even pretending to want significant cuts to government spending.
Voting "no" on a tax increase doesn't mean you really consented to it. And Lysander Spooner argued there's not anything wrong with voting "defensively."
Philosophy and Methodology
The state is not "us." Even if 70 percent of the people decided to murder the remaining 30 percent, this would still be murder and would not be voluntary suicide on the part of the slaughtered minority.
Media and CultureWorld HistoryPhilosophy and Methodology
Steven Pinker’s attempt to rescue the Whig theory of history and demonstrate that we live in the best of all worlds turns out to be an utter failure.
We argue viciously about who governs us from DC, less so about how and whether they should.
Bureaucracy and RegulationTaxes and Spending
Clearly, the proposal for increased usage of E15 is a government subsidy to corn growers and the ethanol industry.
Gustavus Swift liberated people from a diet of salt pork by figuring out how to ship refrigerated beef.